South Arizona Avenue corridor improvements
Project Owner: City of Chandler
Project Type: Construction Manager at Risk
Construction Dates: 03/10 to 11/10
This streetscape reconstruction project from Frye Road to Chandler Boulevard included:
• Roadway improvements resulting in consistent four through lanes (two northbound and two southbound).
• Bike lanes on both sides of the street. Brick paver and lighted mid-block crosswalks.
• Storm drain improvements, new curb and gutter.
• Enhancement of the existing median between Boston Street and Chandler Boulevard and construction of flush medians at the intersections exclusively to accommodate left turns.
• Additional on-street parallel parking from the original 23 spaces to 81 spaces.
• Concrete seatwalls inlaid with polished glass and local artists’ tile work. Concrete art pads with LED uplights.
• Concrete pedestrian hardscape with significant embellishment of varying colors of crushed glass “ribbons” throughout to draw attention to focal points.
• New street/pedestrian light poles with curvilinear design which accommodate LED lighting and banners.
• Custom, artistic park fencing at A.J. Chandler Park. Street and wayfinding signage.
• Concrete pads with electrical and data provisions for future monument signage.
• New landscape and irrigation, preservation of historic trees and landscaping, and accompanying LED accent lighting.
• Site furnishings to include chairs, bistro tables, benches, bike racks, and trash receptacles.
• APS electrical modifications, upgrades and improvements. Traffic signal modifications.
• Electrical upgrades to accommodate vendor needs for the many regular events hosted in AJ Chandler Park.
• “Constructing for the future” by installing utility upgrades, additional underground conduit and crossings, as well as plumbing for a possible future signalized intersection, based on the City’s planned future development and desire to preclude disruption of this beautiful streetscape.
Award of Merit for Environmental Excellence - Site Development and Landscape (Public Sector Category) from Valley Forward Association
Project was among many that contributed to the Crescordia Award for Environmental Excellence - Livable Communities (Public Policy/Plans Category) from Valley Forward Association
Build Arizona Award from the Associated General Contractors, Arizona Chapter
Arizona Public Works Project of the Year from the American Public Works Association Arizona Chapter
General Design Award from the American Society of Landscape Architects, Arizona Chapter
Making Arizona Competitive in the 21st Century from the American Planning Association, Arizona Chapter
Public Improvements Merit Award from the International Downtown Association
Award of Merit - Best Landscape/Hardscape/Urban Development Project from Engineering News-Record Southwest
Illumination Award of Merit from Illumination Engineering Society